TEDXBROADWAY SETS RETURN:
WHAT IS THE BEST BROADWAY CAN BE?
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2015
AT NEW WORLD STAGES
NEW YORK, N.Y. (October 16, 2014) —The fourth annual TEDxBroadway—a one-day event that asks “What is the Best Broadway Can Be?” –returns Monday, February 23rd, 2015 at New World Stages in New York City.
“This event is for everyone who has a stake in Broadway,” explains Jim McCarthy, CEO, Goldstar and Co-organizer, TEDxBroadway. “We’re talking about the whole neighborhood, the whole Broadway ecosystem, and so it’s broader than just arts or theatre. True to the TED format, we pull speakers from vast perspectives, varying expertise, some fields you may not even have heard of yet – all with ideas worth sharing.”
Speakers at this year’s event include (additional speakers will be announced later):
· Benj Pasek & Justin Paul are the Tony-nominated songwriters of the Broadway musical, A Christmas Story. Their score for the show also received a Drama Desk nomination for Outstanding Music. They are also the composers behind the Off-Broadway musical Dogfight, a Best New Musical nominee for the Drama League, Lucille Lortel and Outer Critics Circle awards.
· Sree Sreenivasan, Chief Digital Officer at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In 2009, he was named one of AdAge’s 25 media people to follow on Twitter; in 2010 he was named one of Poynter’s 35 most influential people in social media; and in 2014, he was named one of the most influential Chief Digital Officers by CDO Club.
· Dr. Laurie Santos, Associate Professor of Psychology at Yale University, is a cognitive psychologist who studies the evolution of human cognition by exploring how animals think about the world. She was recently voted one of Popular Science Magazine’s Brilliant 10 Young Minds.
· Kirsten Sabia is Vice President of Marketing Services for the PGA TOUR, where she oversees marketing efforts for the TOUR’s owned and operated tournaments.
· Osh Ghanimah is an actor and the Founder and CEO of Broadway For All—a NYC-based non-profit born out of his fellowship through the Office of the President at Harvard University.
· Elliott Masie is an international expert in the fields of learning, workforce development and big data. He has also been the producer/investor in a range of Broadway productions (Macbeth with Alan Cumming, Godspell, Kinky Boots, Allegiance and An American in Paris).
· Emily Simoness is the founder and Executive Director of SPACE on Ryder Farm, a nonprofit artist residency program committed to supporting and developing artists and their work.
“We’re incredibly excited to put on this event again,” adds Damian Bazadona, founder of Situation Interactive and TEDxBroadway Co-organizer. “It’s inspiring to be embraced by the community, our sponsors, the speakers who do so much to prepare and the audience who have made this a sold out event since we started in 2012. They all truly understand the positive spirit of the day and are a vital part of making Broadway the best it can be.”
The TEDxBroadway stage has been graced by a diverse set of presenters from all walks of life ranging from Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony and Pulitzer prize-winning artists to a variety of recognized speakers in entrepreneurship, education and government affairs.
TEDxBroadway is co-organized by Damian Bazadona, founder of Situation Interactive and Jim McCarthy, CEO of Goldstar. They are proud to welcome back co-organizing sponsors: Jujamcyn Theaters, Google, and Broadway.com. Support for the TEDxBroadway Young Professionals & Students Program is provided by The Nederlander Organization and The Shubert Organization.
Additional details are available at: http://TEDxBroadway.com
Interested attendees can purchase tickets at: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/tedxbroadway-tickets-12624455085
Follow TEDxBroadway on Twitter: @TEDxBroadway
The conference will begin at 11:00 a.m. on February 23rd, 2015. Tickets are $100.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event: In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
About TED: TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 26 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. At TED, the world’s leading thinkers and doers are asked to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Benoit Mandelbrot, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Two major TED events are held each year: The TED Conference takes place every spring in Long Beach, California (along with a parallel conference, TEDActive, in Palm Springs), and TEDGlobal is held each summer in Edinburgh, Scotland. For information about TED’s upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/registration